5 Crucial Questions to Ask When Selecting an Engagement Ring
Once you find that special someone that you plan to spend the rest of your life with, you are probably starting to think of purchasing an engagement ring. For most people, this is a daunting task on territory you have never explored before. Knowing the right questions to ask and what to look for before stepping foot into a jewelry store will help make the entire process smooth and simple.
Here are five crucial questions to ask when selecting an engagement ring.
1. How Much Are You Able To Spend?
Before you are able to even look at rings, you need to know your budget. The amount you are willing and able to spend will determine where you even look. An engagement ring should be looked at as an investment and something that could potentially be passed down to future generations. If you know your budget, communicate this with the jeweler and have them help you make the best choice for your money. Knowing how much you feel comfortable spending will help guide you in the right direction and help you make the best decision. There are financing options available, just ask the jeweler to help talk you through the different options for paying down the ring.
2. What Things Should I Know Before Shopping?
While the budget is at the top of the list of most important things, there are several other things you need to consider before purchasing your bride-to-be’s engagement ring. Chances are you might already be aware of the answer to the following questions, but if not, be sure to casually bring them up in conversation before you go shopping so you know what to look for at the store. Be sure to not give the proposal away if you are trying to keep it a surprise for her!
- What is her style? Knowing her style is important when choosing the size of the diamond on the ring you will buy. If she is into fashion and glamour, choosing a bigger diamond is probably your best option. Also knowing her favorite diamond shape is crucial to getting a ring that will knock her off her feet.
- When will you pop the question? This question is important as you save up the money needed to pay off the ring. Make sure you have enough time to pay it off before it is time to ask for her hand in marriage. Remember to think about birthdays, other anniversaries, holidays, or other important family days as you plan the proposal.
- Does she work with her hands a lot? If her job requires her to work with her hands a lot, you need to take this into consideration as you choose the perfect ring. Getting something practical will help ensure that she is happy with your choice!
3. What Is Her Ring Size?
One of the worst possible things to happen would be getting down on one knee, popping the question, and the ring not fitting her. Usually, she would have to wait up to two weeks to get the ring sized to the correct size, so if you can figure out her ring size before you get to the jewelry shop, you will save a lot of time and stress. You can figure this out by asking her or her close girlfriends, or you can take one of her rings and place it on your finger. Mark where it hits and then try on rings at the jewelry store until you get one that hits at the same place on your own finger.
4. What Are The Important Aspects Of The Ring?
The typical things people discuss when talking about engagement rings are the 4 C’s – color, cut, carat and clarity. The color refers to the color of the diamond from shades of yellow and brown to crystal clear, and the cut is the shape of the diamond from the top view. Carat refers to the size of the diamond and clarity is how noticeable imperfections in the diamond are. Your jeweler can help you make a decision if you are unaware of what you are looking for or needing in your ring. Knowing her metal preference as well will help you along in the entire process.
5. Will The Ring Require Maintenance?
Some diamonds need to be checked by the jewelry every few months in order to keep up the warranty on the ring. Because of the high price of the ring, it is suggested that you get insurance on your new jewelry as soon as possible in the event that something happens and it is ruined or lost. Keeping up with ring cleanings is a great way to have it checked to make sure none of the diamonds are loose or needing to be adjusted.